Welcome To Great Shape!
Please pardon us while we build our new website which will launch later this year!
Great Shape! Inc. empowers the children and families of Jamaica and the Caribbean by providing access to education and health care.
- 501 c 3, non-profit that facilitates humanitarian projects in Jamaica: serving more than 40,000 people each year
- Over 500 volunteers join us each year and come from all over the USA, Canada and beyond
- Founded in 1988, in Ashland Oregon as a response to Hurricane Gilbert
- 1988 Founded: built schools, community centers & roads, sponsored students & uniforms
- 2003 Launched 1000 Smiles: world’s largest international humanitarian dental project
- 2008 Launched SuperKids: literacy-enhancement program (incl. computer literacy & lab builds)
- 2009 Launched iCARE: eye-care program
- Great Shape! works in over 30 Jamaican communities every year, mostly in rural area in Parishes surrounding Negril, Whitehouse, Ocho Rios, Montego Bay. We focus on communities where access to health care and educational resources are lowest and the needs for support are highest.
- Schools we partner with have only a 40% literacy rate. Literacy is the best way to break the cycles of poverty and crime.
- In rural Jamaica, there is only one dentist for every 100,000 people. Less than 1% of Jamaican adults see the dentist every year.
- There are NO public optomotrists availalbe to the peope we serve. Far too many people go without the glasses they need to see.
- We believe our purpose in life is to look after those in need. It is all about One Love!
- It’s great fun!
- Great Shape! depends on hundreds of generous, hard working, fun loving humanitarian heroes - otherwise known as volunteers. We have a very high volunteer return rate. They tell us repeatedly that they love Great Shape! and rate us highly on how we run our programs.
- Great Shape! relies on project fees, thousands of individual donors, grants, partnerships & sponsorships to meet our budget.
- You can volunteer in Jamaica, fundraise, Sponsor a Smile, Corporate Sponsorships, etc.
Thanks To Our Amazing Partners & Sponsors
- Sandals Foundation Partnership
The Sandals Foundation, Sandals Resorts International is a game changing partner for Great Shape! By providing free accomodations, transportation, logistical support and much more, our programs become much more affordable to our volunteers. And by taking care of rooms, meals and transporation, we can focus our energy on what we do best - changing peoples lives! Thank you Sandals Foundation, Sandals Resorts International and the Stewart family! Sandals - a Jamaican owned company that truly cares!
- Jamaican Ministries of Health and Education: permission, strategy support and collaboration
- First Book and Schoolastic: donates thousands of books to SuperKids
- Souls4Soles & Trees That Feed: trees,: shoes and uniforms
- Patterson Dental, Pulpdent and Young Dental: equipment and supplies
- Let It Shine Media: internal and external communications (including PR & video production). Thank you Lucinda Kay and team!